Friday, July 9, 2010

I've only read 5 lines in my favourite book !

I have one book and I must confess I don't read it over and over ! It is written by a Russian author, Michail Osorgin in the 1930s and it's English title is: The Quiet Street. It has the most fascinating first page I've ever read and, unfortunately I can't find any translation in English on the internet so you would need to find out for yourself.

Further on, I have never ever read beyond the first page! Yes, I know it's a bit weird but I think those first lines which takes me from the Universe down to a back street in Moscow called "Sivtsev Vrasjok" (which is also the Russian title of the book) is so good that I don't need to read the rest.



I might do it one day, but so far I've had it with me on my travel during the last 30 years and in between it's near me here in my "office".



Just in case somebody read Swedish or if you want to use Babelfish to get a translation here are the lines;



"I en liten avkrok av det oändliga världsaltet, någonstans inom vårt solsystem, här på jordklotet, i Ryssland, i Moskva, i ett hörnhus vid den lilla gatan Sivtsev Vrasjok satt den lärde ornitologen Ivan Aleksandrovitj i en länstol i sitt arbetsrum".



So there you are, that's my favourite book !

No comments:

Post a Comment